The what3words beta app is where we test new features and versions. It’s separate to the main what3words app, but you can have both on your device at the same time. The beta app will have a blue icon, instead of red, so you can easily tell them apart.
If you’re part of the Squares, or signed up as a beta tester, you’ll have received an email inviting you to try a pre-release version of the new app update. Getting set up for beta access takes a few steps, but there are full instructions below. Make sure you read the instructions for the correct operating system (iOS or Android).
On iOS devices
1. Click the ‘Get started’ link in your email to download TestFlight, which you’ll need to access what3words Beta.
2. Once downloaded, open Testflight and look for a button to download what3words Beta – it has a navy blue icon. If you don’t see it, click the link in the email again.
3. Once what3words Beta has downloaded, open it and test out the new features. Log in with the same account you use in the regular what3words app.
On Android devices
1. Click the ‘Get started’ link in the email to start the process to sign up to Firebase App Distribution which you’ll need to access what3words Beta.
2. Enter your email you want to register for testing, then check your inbox for an email from what3words via Firebase App Distribution.
3. Open the email and follow the 5 steps outlined under ‘How to start testing’ – starting with pressing ‘Get setup’
4. Continue to follow the instructions displayed as you can either install the what3words Beta app directly – or download the ‘App Tester’ app which lets you manage your test apps in once place. Please note if you chose to install ‘App Tester’ then when you open it for the first time you will be asked to login with the account you used at the start of the process.
5. If at any point you get a warning that you need to “allow installations from unknown sources” you may have to turn this setting on in your browser settings.
6. Once what3words Beta has downloaded, open it and test out the new features. Log in with the same account you use in the regular what3words app.
Bug reporting and feedback
As you’re being given access to a pre-launch version of the app, there will be some bugs or things that don’t work as they should.
Let us know any problems via email@example.com including any screenshots you think will be useful.
When we’re launching a big new update, we can’t always reply to every message individually, but we do really appreciate your help and feedback.
Thanks for making what3words better!