Lead Data Engineer
Who we are:
what3words is revolutionising the way the world talks about location. Street addresses aren’t accurate enough to specify specific entrances, and they don’t exist for parks, rural areas and many parts of the world. This causes frustration, inefficiencies and can be dangerous.
That’s why we created what3words.
We have divided the globe into a grid of 3m x 3m squares, and given each one a unique combination of three words: a what3words address. It’s an easy way to find and share precise locations.
what3words is being used in 193 countries, and our monthly active users continue to grow at an impressive pace. Our tech is used by thousands of emergency services, delivery companies, eCommerce businesses, ride-hailing apps and NGOs, and is integrated into the navigation systems of millions of cars around the world.
Role & responsibilities
We are looking for a Lead Data Engineer to join our Data team (encompassing analytics, data science and data engineering) within our fast-growing tech team. The person in this role will work closely with our Product and Engineering teams to help build out data pipelines to enable analytics. Reporting to the Head of Data & Analytics, the Lead Data Engineer will have ownership of designing, building, and maintaining key parts of the data architecture and will have the opportunity to lead strategic projects which look to deliver value to the business in the future.
As Lead Data Engineer, you will have hands-on experience of the different elements of the data engineering process and you will be great at building the business context needed to inform technical decision making.
- To be the technical leader / decision maker on data architectural tools and technologies
- Own the ideation and execution of architectural principles, guidelines and technology standards of ETL and data pipelines
- ETL, cleanup, aggregation of data and making it available for analysis
- Ownership of the Data Warehouse from ingestion of data sources to storage and serving
- Work with analysts to ensure the data modelling is suitable for reporting needs
- Managing GCP instance
- Working with Back-end, Front-end, DevOps & QA engineers to ensure that the data events are well-designed and correctly integrated to the data pipeline services
- Take ownership of data governance including data retention and encryption management
- Conducts/leads and implements proof of concepts to prove new technologies in support of architecture vision and guiding principles
- Mentoring and upskilling of data engineers in the team
- Strong knowledge and experience of ETL and other aspects of data processing pipelines and the data architecture.
- Strong knowledge and experience of Data Warehouse, REST APIs, data and model storage formats
- Strong experience with modular Python (Airflow a bonus)
- Experience implementing event streaming with any of the platforms e.g. Kafka, Kinesis, SQS/SNS
- Experience building analyst-ready data models, with consumer app data a bonus
- Solid SQL/query optimisation skills
- Unit and integration testing
- Cloud services experience, GCP a bonus
- Experience of Containerisation and Performance
- Knowledge of a range of third party data sources and APIs (eg, GA, Matomo, Mixpanel, Facebook, LinkedIn)
- Experience of distributed/automated workflows and technologies (Docker, K8S, Spark)
**Tier 2 sponsorship available for candidates requiring a UK work visa**
Equality, diversity and inclusion at what3words
Our mission is to help everyone talk about everywhere, and we believe diverse perspectives make for a better company and better products too. We strongly encourage applications from underrepresented groups and are committed to equality and inclusivity in our hiring processes and company culture.
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working
- 6 week remote working (work from anywhere) policy
- 25 days holiday: plus the option to buy more!
- Share options
- Private health and dental insurance
- Annual health assessments
- Life insurance
- Wellbeing Days
- Yulife perks and rewards
- Generous parental leave policies
- Family friendly policies
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)
- Season ticket loans
- Cycle to work scheme
- Birthday vouchers
- Weekly lunch & learn sessions
- Office perks; free breakfast, snacks & regular team lunches
- Sports and hobbies clubs
- Dog friendly office