Who we are:
what3words is revolutionising the way the world talks about location. Street addresses aren’t accurate enough to specify specific entrances, and they don’t exist for parks, rural areas and many parts of the world. This causes frustration, inefficiencies and can be dangerous.
That’s why we created what3words
We have divided the globe into a grid of 3m x 3m squares, and given each one a unique combination of three words: a what3words address. It’s an easy way to find and share precise locations.
what3words is being used in 193 countries, and our monthly active users continue to grow at an impressive pace. Our tech is used by thousands of emergency services, delivery companies, eCommerce businesses, ride-hailing apps and NGOs, and is integrated into the navigation systems of millions of cars around the world.
We’re looking for a talented Mid/Senior UX Designer to join our growing Product team, where you’ll work closely with Engineers and Product Managers to design products that are simple but great for the user, focusing on interaction, understanding and visual design.
You will have full stack design experience, able to get involved in both UX and UI tasks, including developing storyboards and wireframes, mockups, and prototypes to effectively communicate interaction and design ideas, as well as playing an active lead role in the feedback and iteration cycle. You will have experience in conducting user research and user testing, and will help to gauge the usability of new and existing products and make constructive suggestions for change using our various platforms and methods.
We are looking for a critical thinker with an excellent visual and interaction design sense, a strong technical background, and an eye for making things better while working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Track-record of designing a substantial native mobile app project where your UX work has resulted in a demonstrable increase in user retention or acquisition.
- Experience and comfort with content design for both in app material and web based products e.g. user account pages, web content navigation elements.
- Ability to work with diverse stakeholder groups, taking on feedback and helping them articulate their business needs into changes that can be quickly implemented
- Balancing user needs against business objectives and constraints.
- Hands on experience working with user researchers to turn findings into design improvements
- Champion and effectively communicate design ideas using sketches, flow diagrams, wireframes, mockups and prototypes in a cross-functional team environment, both static and animated, primarily using Figma and potentially Invision Studio / Axure for prototyping.
- Define the user model and user interface for new and existing products and features, and make constructive suggestions for change based on usability.
- Ensure that the design vision is executed correctly during the development process by building strong relationships with the engineering team for design reviews.
- Understanding and experience with User Centred Design Methodologies (UCD)
- Should be self-motivated, highly organised, and perform multiple tasks under minimal supervision
- Interest in emerging technologies in web, mobile, wearables, automotive and other devices
- Experience designing for a global audience in multiple languages
- Familiarity with the agile software development process
- Like maps and location based services (we love maps)
- Enjoy learning new skills through training individually and with the tea
You will have:
- Excellent communication skills with fluent spoken and written English
- The ability to talk to techies and non-techies in suitable language
- The ability to work both independently and with others
- The ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
Please also include a link / copy of your portfolio along with your CV when submitting your application
Equality, diversity and inclusion at what3words
Our mission is to help everyone talk about everywhere, and we believe diverse perspectives make for a better company and better products too. We strongly encourage applications from underrepresented groups and are committed to equality and inclusivity in our hiring processes and company culture.
- Competitive salary
- Life insurance
- Babylon Health
- Annual health assessments
- Employee Assistance Programme (EAP)
- Yulife perks and rewards
- Bupa Rewards
- Season ticket loans
- Cycle to work scheme
- VDU eye tests
- Birthday vouchers
- Weekly lunch & learn sessions
- Regular team lunches (office benefit)
- Generous parental leave policies
- Flexible working
- 6 week remote working (work from anywhere) policy
- Office perks; free breakfast, snacks & regular team lunches
- Dog friendly office plus subscription to BorrowMyDoggy