Squares’ favourite places: Sailing the coast of Belize with Annemarie
I’d like to tell you about one of my favourite places, the Belizean Barrier reef. It’s a UNESCO World Heritage Site and it’s outstanding. The coast has the largest barrier reef in the northern hemisphere alongside offshore atolls, several hundred sand cays, mangrove forests, coastal lagoons and estuaries.
To document my Belize travels with my family in the run up to Christmas, I used what3words. I visited a range of extraordinary places and would love to share them with you. So, if you’re ever visiting Belize:
1. Share a drink with students from International Zoological Expeditions in their South Water Caye marine field station bar at ///stocky.gullible.vaccinating
2. Marvel at the diversity of life under water at ///precautions.wakened.disappointed where there’s superb water clarity for snorkelling. Then, admire the pelicans and ospreys hunting for fish in the turquoise waters of Moho Caye.
3. Capture a magnificent view at ///scrawny.sandwich.safari which we visited on our last full day on the boat.
4. On the way back, spot the ‘Merry Isthmus’* sign on Placencia Road, depicting the stretch of land barely wide enough for two vehicles.
*An isthmus is a narrow stretch of land that connects two larger areas across an expanse of water.
5. Don’t forget an airport selfie. In the spirit of Christmas! On the way home we took a snap in front of the airport tree at ///hobby.surname.vitamin
Happy New Year!
Inspired? Save and share precise locations anywhere in the world using the free what3words app. It’s compatible with your favourite messaging and navigation apps too!