Ready for a new career challenge?
Join the team behind one of the UK’s most exciting technology companies and help what3words forge meaningful, global partnerships that make a real difference to people all around the world.
Our mission is to become the global standard for addressing. Street addresses weren’t designed for 2020. They aren’t accurate enough to specify building entrances, and they don’t exist for parks, rural areas and many parts of the world. This makes it hard to find places and causes problems and inefficiencies on a global scale.
That’s why we created what3words. We divided the world into 3m squares and gave each square a unique combination of three words. It’s the easiest way to find and share precise locations.
Over the last year, what3words has been used in 193 countries, and our monthly active users continue to grow at an impressive pace. Our tech is used by emergency services, delivery companies, eCommerce businesses, ride-hailing apps and NGOs, and is integrated into the navigation systems of millions of cars around the world.
Our team is around 100 people strong, with offices in London, Mongolia and South Africa.
Our two floor open plan office is COVID-secure, and the team also benefits from a flexible working from home policy.
We have over 20 different social clubs including yoga, pride, football, and comedy improv.
Who we’re looking for
We are looking for highly entrepreneurial, exceptionally clever and charismatic individuals to help us achieve our mission. People who have performed outstandingly in previous roles (we don’t measure success by your former job titles but instead what you achieved in those positions) and are likely to have an accelerated career trajectory when compared against your peers.
Joining our growing business development team, you will drive forward and forge key relationships for what3words around the world. We are looking for people who can quickly understand clients’ pain points and match those to the solutions we can provide. You will have a very good understanding of how to access key players (companies and individuals) and will use this knowledge to generate new leads across relevant industries.
Working in this capacity at what3words is highly demanding – long hours and significant international travel opportunities will be the norm. You’ll be expected to meet challenging targets, but you’ll reap the rewards of them too.
The wider team is a group of talented people from all over the world on an unprecedented journey. Every day brings new challenges and we are always learning. You will be proud to see your individual and team contributions making a real difference. This is an opportunity to help build a global business from the ground up.
You will be:
• Highly intelligent, with the work and/or academic history to prove it
• Extremely tech-savvy (preferably you will have worked with technology, written some code, even if just once or twice, or sold a technology product)
• Able to engage immediately and confidently with senior influencers
• An exceptional relationship builder
• A natural collaborator who enjoys working in a team with clever and ambitious colleagues
• Highly persuasive and excellent at getting things done
• Willing to embrace all aspects of working in a fast-growing business, from managing day-to-day admin to giving speeches to global audiences or pitching CXOs from some of the world’s biggest brands
• Able to excel under pressure, with meticulous attention to detail
• Able to travel regularly, including at short notice
• Motivated by challenging targets and a fast-paced office environment
• Commercially-minded and committed to global social change through business
Extra credit if you:
• Have run your own business or held a senior role in a fast-growing start-up
• Have worked in an industry where what3words is highly applicable
• Speak other languages and have done business abroad or travelled widely
• Can provide excellent references from colleagues as well as supervisors in your current/previous roles
• Have successfully sold something completely new and revolutionary
Our business development team is made up of bright graduates, experienced team builders and outstanding salespeople. We are looking for someone dynamic who believes in our vision for change and is excited to join the company at this stage of growth. We have a culture that encourages curiosity and imagination in how we achieve our goals, and an absolute focus on building a global business.
This is an incredibly exciting time to be joining what3words, as we begin to explore new global territories. We hope in 5 years you will be proud to tell people you were one of the early joiners at what3words.
Those with unusual career paths or career changes are encouraged to get in touch – if you instinctively understand what3words and believe your skills can help us accelerate our global growth, we want to hear from you.
We offer the following benefits to all permanent employees of what3words:
- 25 days holiday
- Share options
- Bupa Healthcare + Babylon Health
- Bupa Rewards
- Cycle to work
- VDU eye tests
- Life Assurance
- Free breakfast & snacks
- Birthday vouchers
- Weekly lunch & learn sessions
- Regular team lunches & team socials
- Sports and hobbies clubs
Read about our tech
The 7KB web page that can save a lifeAt what3words our aim is to become a global standard. We therefore need to make our service accessible to as much of the world’s population as possible…
Kubernetes or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the ContainerDevelopment was slow. Our developer release-cycle process consisted of using a combination of common tooling; HashiCorp…
Not just an input boxYou might not have ever associated HTML input boxes with being complicated. Yes — they’re functional for getting user input into a form, and yes — they vary from free text to suggested drop-down lists as you type…
Equality, diversity and inclusion at what3words
Our mission is to help everyone talk about everywhere, and we believe diverse perspectives make for a better company and better products too. We strongly encourage applications from underrepresented groups and are committed to equality and inclusivity in our hiring processes and company culture.